Tuesday 10 January 2012

Second Week in Nakusp


Song Sparrow
 So it's Tuesday 10 January. I'm sitting in my living room. The fire is burning. Outside it's not snowing however the temperature is dropping quickly and by 5 am it's supoosed to get down to minus 10. Ouch. Today was a wonderfully mild day - betweeb 0 and 3 degrees. People can't stop describing how mild and beautiful and 'spring like' it is. One lady even went so far as to describe the weather as balmy!?

 At any rate despite being here only for a brief time I would agee - the weather has generally been pleasant and NOT intolerably cold. Sad the sun has only been really shining when i'm trapped in class. Typical.

 And the birding continues to be interesting. The highlights;

This morning I scored the Blue Jay, an uncommon bird in these parts. There is one around town and it showed up almost in the front yard this morning. I've put feeders in my front yard and already Chickadees, a Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flickers and Collared Doves have found the food as well as a flock of Evening Grosbeaks. Also in my yard there are Song Sparrows and a solitary White-throated Sparrow.Today i bought some more bird food and will put some out tomorrow and try to photo the feast.

One of my students, her dad and the said dead cougar.
Best birds for Sunday was a great view of a Northern Goshawk plus a neat little Redpoll, deep within a feeding flock of Pine Siskins at Gary's place. Also on Sunday i scored a lifer of a Ruffed Grouse that flew across the road in front of my car. Pale terminal band, wider sub terminal dark on the tail plus blue-grey plumage sealed the ID. 
This weekend I'm off to the Okanagan Valley for some birding. Hopefully photos will feature!
Speaking of photos one of my year 12 girls proudly showed me a photo today of her and her dad and a large dead cougar which they had recently killed.....I wish i'd seen it alive. Btw - our school logo is the cougar so on eof our school mottos is, ironically enough, "Go Cougars!"....

6 comments:

  1. So how's the driving going, are you having to do the chain thing on the tyres, or are you doing a Paul Simon and just "slip sliding away". So, you've got a Ruffled Grouse. That's grouse, to use an antiquated Aussie-ism from the 60's. And they shoot cougars do they? Hmnn, is self-defence the only defence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driving is fine - have adapted quite quickly - although having said trhat it is a pleasure to begin in a small town without the rigour of traffic and impossible navigation. Winter tyres are the norm here although i have not studied the rubber to find out exactly what that means.
    Yes they shoot cougars, bears, elk, smart arse teachers. I told a story, to introduce myself to the classses, that I enjoy walking around in the great outdoors, seeing beautiful creatures living their lives without a voice in my head screaming, "Kill it!" I admitted that this was a difficult concept for many Canadians to accept. Anyway given that all of them have guns regarding the subject of hunting I will sit on 'de fence'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now just a minute here, Ken! In defense of my fellow Canadians, relatively few have guns, and relatively few hunt, and even fewer hunt cougars and bears!! And to put things further into perspective, if you had scored an exchange in a city, where the majority of people live, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who owns a gun or hunts. There, I've said my piece! I'll shut up now and go back to the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ken
    I was talking to Dave the other day and told him about this blog - hope he's found you. How's the teaching going? I like Gary's defense of Canadians and guns!! Someone's sensitive about shooting stuff!!
    I will be thinking of you next Wednesday - bet you're having a much better time than us. Post som ephotos of the school and your house - love to see what it's like.Love to Megan and the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kay,
    Teaching here is fine - the kids are nice and polite and respectful for the most part. And they pretty much laugh in the right places. I'm sure that i can understand them better than they can understand me.
    I've inserted some Burnside curriculum into my year 10 and 12 classes here - as you would expect. It's probably natural that with an Australian teacher they should get some 'Australian education'. Marking schedules and standards are different but i'm sure i'll adjust okay.
    Make sure that Stuart gets his field guide on the first day so he can identify y'all.
    I will go silly posting photos when i get a proper cable to link my computer and my camera! Should be next week. Regards to all the Burnside folk - enjoy your student frees. My second week of full time teaching ends tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete