Saturday 31 December 2011

In Transit

Today I travelled from Vancouver to Nakusp, a journey of some 8 hours. I was very kindly picked up by my good friends Gary and Marie Davidson. Although if I was taking the trip I could have spent much longer as I own a camera. The trip went through, to coin a phrase, a winter wonderland. Majestic snow covered peaks, snow covered pines looking like giant xmas trees [of course they are…], snow covered landscapes and lakes. Okay you’ve probably picked up on the snow covered pattern by now but to Australian eyes the landscapes were magnetic. Everywhere was a post card in the making. It was difficult to focus on birds – probably impossible.

We enjoyed many stereotypical Canadian scenes. For instance we passed Canadians skating on an ice covered lake – they were Canadians for sure because they had large sticks in their hands.

Buse Lake - a purple lake
Some good birds were enjoyed enroute including Trumpeter Swans, Red-railed and Rough legged Hawks, Bald Eagles and my first Townsend’s Solitaire for this trip.

Anyway enjoy the pictures as I’m off to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Nice birding tales and thanks Ken. Has Gary and Marie Davidson been to Cape May catching Red Knots? Sounds very familiar names. chege

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chege,
    No i don't think so. Gary and Marie however will be joining our Kenya safari in 2014.

    ReplyDelete